A recent death in the family — sudden but not unexpected — has made me realise how much I take for granted.¹ It’s so easy to assume that there will be time to catch up with family and friends next week, next month or next year, but the reality is that we never know how much longer we have.
On the other hand, seeing everyone pull together to help and support each other through such a difficult time has made me appreciate the strength and value of family bonds so much more than ever before. With that thought in mind, a somewhat bittersweet list of things I am grateful for at the moment:
- Having a loving and supportive extended family
- The connection and growth of families through marriages, partnerships and friendships
- Time spent with loved ones
- The way people work together and look out for each other
- The ability to move freely and experience life fully
- Living in a country with good sanitation and healthcare
¹ It’s also reconfirmed for me what a bitch of a disease metastatic melanoma is. Stay safe everyone — be sun smart!